Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Surgery: A Gore-Tex Jumper



The photo shows a sample of the Gore-Tex prosthetic that was put in place of my damaged external iliac artery. The sample has a length of about 19 cm, but the actual length used in my case was only a couple centimeters.

My operation took about three hours and left me with a scar about 10 cm long tracing an angle roughly the same as the southern California coastline down my stomach to just below my belt line. There were no external stitches, so my bandages were largely removed before I left the hospital. Nothing open or oozing and surprisingly little discomfort.

The surgery was conducted under general anesthesia. I was in intensive care the first night and up and walking the next day. I was discharged a couple days later, with instructions to avoid exercise, but otherwise to go on about my normal life. No cycling until after the first of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers